Three of my favorite things happen to be fresh ginger, garlic, and the ever so awesome Sriracha and another of my other favorite things are big juicy BURGERS – so obviously this recipe is a match made in heaven. I’m totally a beef kind of girl and I have a special place in my heart for a giant, messy, delicious, beefy, savory, full of flavor burger and these burgers are so seriously scrumptious that I already can’t wait to make them again.
I served these humongo burgers on top of savory, spicy, tangy coleslaw topped with cucumbers and more cilantro. My kids acted like kids and ate theirs on gluten free buns and said they were totally awesome so you can just do whatever your little sweet heart desires.
Here’s the recipe – let me know what ya think and I hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, leaves and steams
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- *Optional toppings – cucumber slices, cilantro leaves, more Sriracha and the following slaw recipe.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and a healthy pinch of sea salt and sauté with the onions until the garlic is fragrant (don’t burn it, just cook it until that yummy garlicy smell hits your nose).
- Set the onion/garlic mixture aside to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl add the remaining burger mixture, add the cooled onions and garlic, and mix together with your hands.
- Form into 7-8 patties, about an inch to an inch and a half thick and now it’s time to cook these bad boys!
- Heat your grill pan or BBQ to medium high and once it’s hot enough for your meat to sizzle, place the burgers on the grill pan or BBQ.
- For medium burgers cook for 3-5 minutes each side, depending on how hot your grill is.
- Do not EVER smash your burgers while cooking – this will release all the yummy juices and leave you with a flavorless, dry, crumbly, not good burger.
- Serve however you like – or be like me and serve on top of the following slaw recipe topped with cucumber slice and additional cilantro leaves.
- 3 cups broccoli slaw
- ¼ - ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and adjust seasoning according to your desired taste. Serve with burgers!