Stuffed peppers are yummy. I have a great recipe for stuffed peppers in my first book, Everyday Paleo, but new innovations are always fun so recently I made another version – but this time deconstructed and more like a casserole.
I LOVED how this turned out and besides the little bit of time to roast my own peppers, it was super easy to make and even easier to eat since all you have to do is scoop and serve!
This is a great recipe to make on the weekend and have for lunchtime leftovers or even breakfast. Meat, some veggies, some spice, some cheese (which is optional) and done. Delicious. Happy. Full tummies. That’s what feeding my family is all about!!
Now go make some food and as always, enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3-4 red and/or yellow bell peppers
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini – grated (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or butter
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Place the whole bell peppers on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, turning often until the peppers are tender and the skin starts to blacken.
- Let the peppers cool until they are cool enough to handle and then cut them in half, scrape out the sides and slice length wise into strips, about 1 inch wide and set aside.
- In a large oven safe skillet, cook the onions in bacon grease or butter over medium heat until soft; add the ground beef and Italian sausage and brown.
- Add the shredded zucchini, basil, and tomato sauce and stir well, bring to simmer.
- Add the oregano, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer together until the zucchini shreds are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Layer the sliced roasted bell pepper on top of the meat and serve immediately or if using cheese, sprinkle with cheese and warm under broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.